Electrical equipment is present in virtually all workplaces, and that includes portable appliances. Managers and responsible persons in low risk environments have a duty to carry out visual and pre-use checks on equipment.
The regulations on Portable Appliance Testing in Ireland can be found in the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (General Application) Regulations, SI 299, 2007. The regulation directs employers to ensure that all portable equipment used in their place of work is periodically inspected and tested by a competent person.
• Health and Safety
• What is PAT Testing & Why Test?
• Visual inspection of portable appliances & Good Houskeeping
• Equipment Classification
• Testing Class I appliances, Testing Class II appliances, Testing an IEC lead and Testing an extension lead
• Understanding fuse rating
• PASS / FAIL in relation to Portable Appliances
• Insulation, Earth Bond & Functional Test
• Record keeping
• Plug wiring and general information about how electricity works