Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor

Dangerous Goods Safety Advisers are qualified specialist safety consultants who work with a wide range of organisations involved with the transportation of dangerous goods.

Dangerous Goods means goods falling within the United Nations nine chemical classes. These classes include:

  • Class 1 Explosives
  • Class 2 Gases
  • Class 3 Flammable liquids
  • Class 4.1 Flammable solids
  • Class 4.2 Spontaneously combustible
  • Class 4.3 Emit gases in contact with water
  • Class 5.1 Oxidising substances
  • Class 5.2 Organic peroxides
  • Class 6.1 Toxic substances
  • Class 6.2 Infectious substances
  • Class 7 Radioactive materials
  • Class 8 Corrosive substances
  • Class 9 Miscellaneous dangerous substances and articles.

Specialist services include safety audits, inspections, accident investigations, accident reports and training for your transport operations and procedures.

Organisations involved in the transportation of dangerous goods must appoint a suitably qualified Dangerous Goods Safety Adviser (DGSA). This legal requirement was originally introduced by the European Community directive 96/35/EC and encompasses transport by road, rail, and inland waterways.

As an All Classes fully qualified DGSA, we can be contracted to fulfill your legal obligations under the above Regulations.

The provision of a DGSA service for your business will cover the following main functions:

  • Monitoring compliance with the rules governing the transport of dangerous goods
  • Advising the employer on the transport of dangerous goods
  • Ensuring that an annual report to the employer is prepared on the activities of the employer concerning the transport of dangerous goods
  • Monitoring the practices, procedures and activities of the employer concerning dangerous goods

Other duties as defined in the above Regulations

To discuss details, including annual fees, in relation to the provision of the above DGSA Consultancy Service for your business, please contact us with details of the class(es) of dangerous goods transported, the number of transport units involved and the number of qualified drivers employed.

Do I need a DGSA for dangerous goods by air or sea?

Oddly no, only for transport by road, rail and on inland waterways. Sea and air are governed by their own regulations, which require you to have an Approved Person trained in these regulations. But for many companies it can be very advantageous to have a DGSA qualified to advise on them also as invariably the dangerous goods are at sometime transported by road to the port or airport.

For further information please call us on (01) 8385595 or (021) 4210331 or complete our Enquiry Form.